One Last Update😢



Although many of you probably already know the ending of our update, I feel it is important to explain how we got from normal treatment in Vienna to losing our Layla in three weeks, since you shared our journey.

We left Vienna on Thursday, February 27 to Berkeley, California with the promise of a new treatment, Side Effect Free (SEF, pronounced 'safe') Chemo.  Due to several immune related adverse events and other challenges, we needed to pause immunotherapy for several months and we had been assessing SEF chemo as a non-immunotherapy backup plan should this ever happen. Our time in the San Francisco Bay Area was very short lived as Layla was getting very weak and was developing upper respiratory issues- with symptoms progressing significantly each day. She had developed Lymphangiosis carcinomatosa, a very rare form of metastasis from breast cancer that spreads to the pulmonary lymphatic system and eventually severely impacts the lungs. We also learned that the pulmonary embolism and crash in hemoglobin and platelets was caused by DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation) which is another rare complication caused by the cancer with severe consequences (simultaneous bleeding and clotting risks). These complications on top of the existing significant cancer in her body did not give her a chance to fight back. Our Layla's heart stopped beating on Thursday March 19, three weeks after we left Vienna. We miss her terribly.  She fought with incredible strength and courage all the way until the day she died.  We will always remember her as the beautiful and brave girl that never allowed cancer to define her.

We would like to thank you on behalf of Layla and ourselves for all of the love and support that you provided us along the way -- you know who you are.  All the forms in which the help and love came our way -- help with research, meaningful gifts, financial support, etc -- made a very difficult journey significantly easier and helped Layla to feel showered in love when we needed it most.  Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts.

Comments

  1. As a fellow MBC warrior who has been following your journey with Layla for over one year, I am gutted. More gutted than you can imagine. Stay strong- Kashfi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Layla was a beautiful brave young girl, she was a fighter. I still remember her beautiful smile. Samara I miss you so much and kept and will praying for you and family. This is a very hard time for you, I don't know what to say and how to comfort you, I am just keep praying for you, sending lots of hugs and love.🤲💕😪

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I choreographed her wedding dances. Meeting you all I know you were such a close family. The love was very apparent. I know it will be a journey for you all to start healing but be very thankful you have each other. She was a beautiful soul and I’m so happy i has the pleasure of meeting her and you all. -Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samara,
    I cry as I write this to you. She is amazing and so are you. Sorry does not express it but know that in the days and months ahead you will be in my prayers.

    Your friend
    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Samara, I haven’t stopped thinking of you and your family since I heard of the terribly devastating news! Layla will always live in our heart. She will always be loved and remembered for her kindness, positivity, her love for her family and her strong will. She was incredibly special in every beautiful way. I am praying for you and your family to find peace during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Samara, Wes and Nina,

    All I can say at this time is we love �� you and we are here for you at any time and in whatever you need. We lost a daughter too by loosing Layla. She taught us how to be a fighter, against all odds and with a smile on our face. You taught us the true example of how the unconditional and selfless parental love can be. We are thankful and blessed that you allowed us to be part of your fighting journey. Layla’s spirit is roaming around us free of the devastating cancer and the pain that came with it. May God bless you all. May she Rest In Peace and May her memory be eternal. We love you Layla, Samara, Nina and Wes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Samara, I've been following Layla's journey for a year now, I am indescribably sad at her passing, may your family find comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heartbreaking!!! R.I.P LOVELY LAYLA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Samara,
    I was terribly shocked and saddened to hear of Layla's news. I really thought that things were moving forward. This must be a very difficult time for you and your family.
    It is very difficult to find the words to express myself.
    Layla was strong - willed and had an incredibly supporting and loving family.
    I sure hope that you will be able to be a peace and start healing. Layla is now at a far better place free of pain and cancer.
    She will remain in the hearts of her loved ones.
    May she rest in peace; may her memory be eternal and may our Lord comfort your hearts.
    Raeda Fawaz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found this blog informative or very useful for me. I suggest everyone, once you should go through this.

    COVID-19 Vaccination

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COMPLETE REMISSION!!!!!! (Update provided 8 months later)

Early Christmas Present!